Seeking Volunteers for Citizen Resource Advisory Committee

by | Apr 23, 2021 | Government and Politics, Recreation

Southwest OR – The U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, is seeking applications for open positions on its Siskiyou Resource Advisory Committee (RAC). The Siskiyou RAC serves to make recommendations to the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest regarding natural resource projects in Coos, Curry and Josephine Counties.

Members of the committee serve 4-year terms and generally meet once every 2 years for a 2-day meeting (includes travel), held in Brookings or Cave Junction. Committee members review and recommend natural resource project proposals for Title II funding made available through the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self Determination Act. These volunteer positions are unpaid; however, travel costs will be covered by the agency.

The Secretary of Agriculture vets all RAC membership applications and officially approves and appoints all RAC members. This requires a process of application submission, vetting and approval prior to interested applicants being appointed. RAC members comprise a 15-member committee that represents many interests as defined below:

Category One, where candidates must represent one of the following interests:

  • organized labor or non-timber forest product harvester groups
  • developed outdoor recreation, off highway vehicle users, or commercial recreation activities
  • energy and mineral development interests
  • commercial or recreational fishing interests
  • commercial timber industry
  • Federal grazing or other land use permits, or represent nonindustrial private forest land owners


Category Two, where candidates must represent one of the following:

  • nationally recognized environmental organizations
  • regionally or locally recognized environmental organizations
  • dispersed recreational activities
  • archaeological and historical interests
  • nationally or regionally recognized wild horse and burro interest groups, wildlife or hunting organizations, or watershed associations


Category Three, where candidates must represent one of the following:

  • State elected office (or a designee)
  • County or local elected office
  • American Indian tribes within or adjacent to the area for which the committee is organized
  • school officials or teachers
  • represent the affected public at large

Applicants must be qualified to represent the specific interest, as well as bring diversity to the RAC through gender, ethnicity, persons with a disability, underrepresented populations, consensus-building abilities, dedication to serving local community and stakeholder interests, and active participation in natural resource interests or issues.

Interested applicants must submit their application via email to Kim Hunter at [email protected] or to Virginia Gibbons at [email protected]  Please do NOT include your social security number or date of birth on the email application in the interest of protecting your Personally Identifiable Information. Please DO include your phone number so we may contact you at a later date for that information. In addition to the email application, a hard copy application with your original signature and the date you sign it is required and should be mailed to: Kim Hunter, Gold Beach Ranger Station, 29729 Ellensburg Avenue, GB 97444. Application forms are available online at

Once applications are received, the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest will forward a slate of RAC candidates, with recommendations for appointments, to the Secretary of Agriculture. These recommendations will include review and input from Merv George, Jr. as the designated local Approving Official.

After RAC members are approved, newly appointed members will receive an official letter from the Secretary of Agriculture and a certificate of appointment. The process of applying, nominating, reviewing and selecting RAC members may take several months, or longer.

For a more information about the Siskiyou RAC, contact Virginia Gibbons, Public Affairs & Partnerships Staff Officer for the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest, at 541-690-6681 or [email protected]

Skip to content